Problem: A container holds a pure sample of a radioactive substance with a half-life of 2 hours.Which of the following statements are true?a) After 1 hour, less than 50% of the original atoms in the container will have decayed.b) After 1 hour, more than 50% of the original atoms in the container will have decayed.c) After 2 hours, 50% of the original atoms in the container will have decayed.d) After 4 hours, 25% of the original atoms will have decayed.e) After 4 hours, the total number of atoms in the container will be reduced by 75%.

FREE Expert Solution

The number of atoms remaining after every half-life:

N=N0(12)(t/t1/2)

After 2 hours:

N = N0(1/2)(2/2) = 0.5N0 

View Complete Written Solution
Problem Details

A container holds a pure sample of a radioactive substance with a half-life of 2 hours.
Which of the following statements are true?


a) After 1 hour, less than 50% of the original atoms in the container will have decayed.
b) After 1 hour, more than 50% of the original atoms in the container will have decayed.
c) After 2 hours, 50% of the original atoms in the container will have decayed.
d) After 4 hours, 25% of the original atoms will have decayed.
e) After 4 hours, the total number of atoms in the container will be reduced by 75%.

Frequently Asked Questions

What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?

Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Nuclear Physics concept. You can view video lessons to learn Nuclear Physics. Or if you need more Nuclear Physics practice, you can also practice Nuclear Physics practice problems.