We’re being asked to identify the meso compound among the given structures.
Recall that meso compounds are superimposable mirror images despite having chiral centers. Meso compounds:
• have an internal line of symmetry → achiral
• follow the 2n – 1 rule for total stereoisomers → two stereoisomers are identical
A compound will be meso if it follows these criteria:
1. It has 2 or more chiral centers.
2. It is atomically symmetrical → symmetrical in connectivity
3. An even number of chiral centers have opposite configuration (if one is R, the other should be S)
Which of the following compounds is a meso compound?
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Meso Compound concept. You can view video lessons to learn Meso Compound. Or if you need more Meso Compound practice, you can also practice Meso Compound practice problems.
How long does this problem take to solve?
Our expert Organic tutor, Katie took 7 minutes and 16 seconds to solve this problem. You can follow their steps in the video explanation above.