🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Vinciguerra's class at TXSTATE.
We’re being asked to name the given alkene using IUPAC nomenclature with the correct stereochemistry.
Recall that the E/Z designation gives us the absolute stereochemistry of double bonds. It involves:
1. Determining the highest priority groups on each side of a double bond.
• Priority is determined using atomic mass
• If the same atom is present, we compare the other atoms it is bonded to
2. Designating E/Z based on their relative position:
• If they are on the same side → Z (zusammen or together)
• If they are on the opposite side → E (entgegen or opposite)
For this problem, we need to do the following steps:
Step 1: Determine the longest carbon chain and the parent name.
Step 2: List down the substituents present and their locants.
Name the following alkene. Be sure to indicate stereochemistry.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Cis vs Trans concept. You can view video lessons to learn Cis vs Trans. Or if you need more Cis vs Trans practice, you can also practice Cis vs Trans practice problems.
How long does this problem take to solve?
Our expert Organic tutor, Reyn took 2 minutes and 1 second to solve this problem. You can follow their steps in the video explanation above.
What professor is this problem relevant for?
Based on our data, we think this problem is relevant for Professor Vinciguerra's class at TXSTATE.