🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Richard's class at UB.
Select the correct name for the following compound, including the correct (E) or (Z) designation where appropriate.
We’re being asked to name the given structure using IUPAC nomenclature with the correct E/Z designation.
Recall that the E/Z designation gives us the absolute stereochemistry of double bonds. It involves:
1. Determining the highest priority groups on each side of a double bond.
• Priority is determined using atomic mass
• If the same atom is present, we compare the other atoms it is bonded to
2. Designating E/Z based on their relative position:
• If they are on the same side → Z (zusammen or together)
• If they are on the opposite side → E (entgegen or opposite)
For this problem, we need to do the following steps:
Step 1: Determine the longest carbon chain and the parent name.
Step 2: List down the substituents present and their locants.
Step 3: Determine the E/Z designation of the double bond.