• Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from a gaseous atom or ion.
• Electron affinity is the energy required to add 1 mole of electrons to a gaseous element.
▪ gain negative charge → gain electrons
▪ energy that corresponds to adding electrons in an element → electron affinity
▪ easier to add electrons → lower electron affinity/more negative electron affinity value
Elements with _______________ first ionization energies and ___________ electron affinities generally form anions.
A. low, very negative
B. high, positive or slightly negative
C. low, positive or slightly negative
D. high, very negative
E. None of these is generally correct.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Periodic Trends concept. If you need more Periodic Trends practice, you can also practice Periodic Trends practice problems.