Problem: The Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) sets a limit for mercury-a toxin to the central nervous system-at 0.002 ppm by mass. Water suppliers must periodically test their water to ensure that mercury levels do not exceed this limit. Suppose water becomes contaminated with mercury at twice the legal limit (0.004 ppm).How much of this water would have to be consumed for someone to ingest 51 mg of mercury?

🤓 Based on our data, we think this question is relevant for Professor Rathod's class at UW-SEATTLE.

FREE Expert Solution
FREE Expert Solution

ppm=μg solutemL solution


Step 1

51 mg ×10-3 g1 mg = 0.051 g


View Complete Written Solution
Problem Details

The Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) sets a limit for mercury-a toxin to the central nervous system-at 0.002 ppm by mass. Water suppliers must periodically test their water to ensure that mercury levels do not exceed this limit. Suppose water becomes contaminated with mercury at twice the legal limit (0.004 ppm).

How much of this water would have to be consumed for someone to ingest 51 mg of mercury?