Given the heating curve for 1 mole of methanol, we are asked to calculate qsolid for methanol.
Recall: In Heating curves, we have the representation of the amount of heat absorbed during phase changes. As the reaction progress, a phase change or temperature change can occur.
During a phase change,
- Temperature is constant
- Avg. Kinetic Energy is constant
- Heat is transferred into potential energy
During a temperature change.
- Heat energy is converted into Kinetic Energy
- Increase in temperature causes increase in Kinetic Energy
- Decrease in temperature causes decrease in Kinetic Energy