1. Phylogeny is the evolutionary history of a species or group of species.
2. Convergent evolution can produce similarities in body form when similar environments and natural selection have favored similar adaptations.
Drag the terms on the left to the appropriate blanks on the right to complete the sentences. Not all terms will be used.
shared ancestral characters
shared derived characters
1. __________ is the evolutionary history of a species or group of species.
2. __________ can produce similarities in body form when similar environments and natural selection have favored similar adaptations.
3. Distinguishing between homology, which reflects common ancestry, and __________, which does not, is critical in determining evolutionary relationships.
4. A(n) __________ is a group of species that includes an ancestral species and all of its descendants.
5. __________ distinguish clades and thus branch points in the tree of life.
6. The use of DNA and other molecules to determine evolutionary relationships is called __________.
Frequently Asked Questions
What scientific concept do you need to know in order to solve this problem?
Our tutors have indicated that to solve this problem you will need to apply the Phylogeny concept. You can view video lessons to learn Phylogeny. Or if you need more Phylogeny practice, you can also practice Phylogeny practice problems.